bright_ephemera
06.20.2012 , 07:14 AM | #85
46. Mini-snippet: In which Nalenne practices

A man with a suitable blaster
Can take any veteran master.
A saber won’t save
Anyone, howe’er brave,
As long as the man fires faster.

A long stretch of the Helicarrier’s hangar was cleared, and Pierce had his blaster rifle out. Nalenne stood at the ready with her lightsaber. She nodded. He opened fire.

Ghost-Quinn approached while Nalenne was busily deflecting the stream of blaster bolts. Up, down, side to side, ran the shots, but mostly up. The captain stood by Pierce and folded his arms over his chest, waiting for the barrage to end so he could speak.

“What are you doing?”

“Trying to shoot Nalenne in the face,” said Pierce. “What’s it look like I’m doing?”

“It’s practice, Quinn,” added Nalenne. “I told him to.”

“Those can’t be live blaster bolts.”

“Don’t use any other kind, captain.”

Broonmark, standing off to one side, chortled.

“And yet he’s still breathing. This is what I’m talking about when I say you give preferential treatment, my lord.”

“Hey, shoot again,” said Nalenne. Pierce did so. Nalenne deftly turned and maneuvered to deflect the next four bolts directly through Quinn. “Look at that, eh?”

“I like it. Should’ve started that practice a long time ago,” said Pierce.

“This whole thing is fine, Quinn,” said Nalenne. “I asked him for it. And we do have a safeword.”

“Is that so?”

“Yeah. It’s something like ‘MRF ARG MY FACE.’”

Both Broonmark and Pierce snickered.

“Lieutenant, have you for one moment considered the consequences of successfully shooting the Emperor’s Wrath?”

“I expect she’ll get mad, scream a bit, and then we’ll go clean up at the nearest kolto facility.”

“And if she dies?”

“Someone’s badly lacking in faith here.”

“Oh? You yourself once said you were confident you could kill her.” (*)

“Walking up and shooting her wasn’t the idea for that, idiot. She can handle this, no problem.”

“C’mon, do it again,” urged Nalenne.

Pierce shrugged at Quinn and hefted his rifle. “Can’t disobey orders, now can I?”
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 100+ authors to date. 2600+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
---(Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.)--- DELETA MALAVAI EST