View Single Post

WhiskeyGin
06.07.2012 , 04:32 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Tuscad View Post
Luke was more of a Jedi than those in the Pre-equal trilogy. At the very end of Return of the Jedi he was willing to give it all to attempt to redeem his father, he even threw away his lightsaber when the Emperor told him to strike down Vader, this was his only means to defend himself and attack the Emperor. He embraced the ideals of "compassion", "sacrifice" and "love", his father embraced those same ideals when he saved Luke, you cannot be more Jedi than that.
I can see where you're coming from. However, I think that scene was more about Luke realizing that fighting Palpatine with force (see what I did there?) would be useless-- after all, he was the only guy in the galaxy that could shoot lightning out of his hands. I like to think he put down his lightsaber and let the Force be his guide; and also let all that sweet talk he'd been throwing Vader since Empire Strikes Back finally pay off.

Also, I think Anakin did turn out to be the "Chosen One." He brought balance to the Force by letting the only real Jedis left die of old age then killed the remaining Sith. I don't doubt Luke eventually grew into the real McCoy, but in the formal (i.e. recognized) sense of being a Jedi, Luke was pretty much a Padawan.

One last thing, to whomever said that "but he was a self-trained Jedi" muck-- Yeah, okay but I'm not letting a self-trained doctor perform a heart transplant on me. There's a reason Jedi had a training system and it was to keep a higher portion of Force sensitives from turning to the Dark Side than just letting them experiment with the Force on their own (tell me if you were a child with the Force you wouldn't use it constantly to get whatever you wanted-- Dark Side for real). Without formal training, Luke can still call himself a Jedi if he really feels that way (plus as a state-labeled terrorist organization, that'll probably go over really well) but it doesn't make it so.
Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.
Whiskey of The Shadowlands' Redrum