More and more I am coming to believe that MMOs are where IPs (Intellectual Properties) from other mediums go to die.
- MXO: (Shut down) The last we will probably ever see or hear of the Matrix universe.
- STO: (Currently F2P) the last vestige of the discarded "Prime" Star Trek timeline.
- DCUO: (Currently F2P) The last of the old DC Universe before they discarded it.
- Other IPs. I know there are a few more, just can't bring them to mind at the moment.
- Now, perhaps, SWTOR: George Lucas has already said he will not make another Star Wars movie. With the exception of some "expanded universe" media and this game, this IP has passed. Everyday we see people on other parts of these forums begging BioWare to do more to keep us playing. Sadly, EA has made their investment back and then some. They no longer have to care.
I think sometimes that not being a creative force in the IP makes the MMO company not care so much and having sold out, the originators of the IPs lack the creative control or no longer care either. So the IP is used to make loads of money selling games and subscriptions until the last drop of blood is gone from it and it is truly and finally dead.