Population Estimates for the Top 20 US Servers

Scorpienne

lol, my server (Kaibur Crystal) isn't even in the top 20.

Doesn't really bother me personally since I play solo almost exclusively, no interest in PvP or end-game raids/FPs; however, I do feel bad for the people on Kaibur who might like to have the opportunity to engage in those activities but cannot due to the low server pop.

I do love to shop, though, so higher pop might mean more stuff on the GTN - selection does seem sparser since 1.2.

This is a PST PvE server, btw, which I picked because I live in so cal and figured I'd get lower ping and latency.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This. IF I don't get a server transfer by the end of May - I'm leaving for diablo 3.

it's actually cool D3 is out Tuesday. It'll give me something more productive to play when I'm (occasionally) at wits end on my 12th most empty server in the game some nights.

When they do decide to consolidate, I wont really do server merges. Since it's bad PR.

Rather this is what I think they should do to improve server pop--

1. Make selective free transfer a working feature.

2. Pick a group of server as destination server (say for PvE, 20 destination servers)

3. Assign the remaining servers into groups called source servers (e.g. the remaining 50 servers)

4. Now open free transfers from the source to destination server in groups. I.e. people in these 10 source servers can choose to migrate to any one of these 5 source server. etc).

5. This system will manage the migration better instead of causing everyone to end up in Fatman or Harbinger.

I've little to say about your numbers in general but thought I'd comment on the RP server bit. In games that I've played since WoW I've found RP servers generally to be a pretty solid place community-wise with a typically steady and solid population. To broadly and crudely generalize, RPers tend to focus on very different things than the rest of the MMO crowd and appear significantly less fickle when it comes to game/server hopping.

Regarding the numbers, my server's not on that list but I never have any problems finding PvE or PvP activities.

I agree.

And OP my testing over a period of time indicates that the flip point between LIGHT and STANDARD is 1000, not 500. All the other populations assumptions you listed for the status indicators I have found to be accurate.

The unfortuante aspect of the status tags right now is there are about half of the LIGHT servers that appear to be sub-200, and so it would help if we had a VERY-LIGHT status (which we don't and won't). But I can guarantee that this subset of servers are going to be given heavy incentive to free transfer to STANDARD servers and evenutally closed.

And OP my testing over a period of time indicates that the flip point between LIGHT and STANDARD is 1000, not 500. All the other populations assumptions you listed for the status indicators I have found to be accurate.

Hunh. Cool. That's very fair.... the original data my numbers are based on are here.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7cCedo_NPIo/T6iEIdOAt3I/AAAAAAAAARY/kH6YwJAHO_w/s1600/estimatedPoints2.png

And there is plenty of slop in the data.

The unfortuante aspect of the status tags right now is there are about half of the LIGHT servers that appear to be sub-200, and so it would help if we had a VERY-LIGHT status (which we don't and won't).

Yep, and that's why anything with a phi less than 1 or even near 1 is probably underestimated.

Paige

Diablo 3 will help SWTOR, not hurt it. People will play it for a few days, then come back to raid.

The only thing that can kill an MMO is another MMO; and WoW is starting to look pretty good again even though I've sworn it off.

Diablo 3 will help SWTOR, not hurt it. People will play it for a few days, then come back to raid.

The only thing that can kill an MMO is another MMO; and WoW is starting to look pretty good again even though I've sworn it off.

Have you even done the Raids in this game? Almost every week a boss doesnt spawn, the bosses glitch, the instance glitches! I am pretty sure if people are going to raid they will be doing it in WOW not this garbage.

If Jung Ma is 750 av, then I'm happy with this number. Never a problem getting into warzones or finding a group, at least the times I've tried (which is usually around lunchtime EDT).

Okay, so that's information. Jung Ma seems to have "enough" people... so maybe 500-1000 is "enough".

Paige

i LOVE this post OP, great idea.

Thanks. For what it's worth... I just updated the spreadsheet so it's a little easier for folks to look at it and figure out which end is up. Also easy to copy and paste into your own excel doc or google spreadsheet so you can sort and parse it and do your own math at it if you like.

Paige

Just checked how many people are on Niman (EU) at 15.30 pm and there were total 63 imperials, and we outnumber reps by 5:1. During peak time we get 20 more people online with one warzone running, and if lucky two warzones. And you call this mmo... :(

Just as an FYI, I have been conducting a census on my server, Ven Zallow to justify our guilds move off it when transfers come. If you guys are curious about how I did it and what the numbers are, check this thread out over at our guild: http://newenglandbay.enjin.com/forum/m/3023651/viewthread/2990475-ven-zallow-dying-lets-get-hell-out-here-thread (i'm able to get the near exact count for Imperial toons logged on +/- 5)

I am going to run another tonight, and then post the results up in comparison to the last ones. It's been showing a steady decline since 1.2.

Edited by -Dench

Here are the top 30 servers worldwide and in the US.

Top 30 Servers Worldwide

The Fatman (PvP US EST) Population ≈ 2180

Tomb of Freedon Nadd (PvP English) Population ≈ 1521

Dalborra (PvE APAC) Population ≈ 1308

Master Dar'Nala (PvP APAC) Population ≈ 1250

Jedi Covenant (PvE US EST) Population ≈ 1220

The Jedi Tower (PvE German) Population ≈ 1130

The Harbinger (PvE US PST) Population ≈ 1100

The Red Eclipse (PvE English) Population ≈ 1030

The Swiftsure (PvP US PST) Population ≈ 1010

Gav Daragon (RP PvE APAC) Population ≈ 980

Canderous Ordo (PvE US EST) Population ≈ 950

Drooga's Pleasure Barge (PvE US PST) Population ≈ 880

Huntmaster (RP PvP French) Population ≈ 790

Ajunta Pall (RP PvP US PST) Population ≈ 780

Lord Adraas (RP PvE US EST) Population ≈ 740

Mantle of the Force (PvE French) Population ≈ 730

The Ebon Hawk (RP PvE US EST) Population ≈ 730

Jung Ma (RP PvP US EST) Population ≈ 730

Nightmare Lands (PvE English) Population ≈ 710

Kissai Caste (PvE French) Population ≈ 690

Vodo-Siosk Baas (PvE French) Population ≈ 680

Kessel Run (RP PvE French) Population ≈ 680

Zakkeg Beast (PvE US PST) Population ≈ 660

Vanjervalis Chain (RP PvE German) Population ≈ 660

Battle Meditation (RP PvE French) Population ≈ 660

Hssiss (PvE French) Population ≈ 640

The Progenitor (RP PvE English) Population ≈ 640

The Shadowlands (PvE US EST) Population ≈ 630

Dune Bantha (PvE English) Population ≈ 630

Shadow Hand (PvE US EST) Population ≈ 620

Top 30 US Servers

The Fatman (PvP US EST) Population ≈ 2180

Jedi Covenant (PvE US EST) Population ≈ 1220

The Harbinger (PvE US PST) Population ≈ 1100

The Swiftsure (PvP US PST) Population ≈ 1010

Canderous Ordo (PvE US EST) Population ≈ 950

Drooga's Pleasure Barge (PvE US PST) Population ≈ 880

Ajunta Pall (RP PvP US PST) Population ≈ 780

Lord Adraas (RP PvE US EST) Population ≈ 740

The Ebon Hawk (RP PvE US EST) Population ≈ 730

Jung Ma (RP PvP US EST) Population ≈ 730

Zakkeg Beast (PvE US PST) Population ≈ 660

The Shadowlands (PvE US EST) Population ≈ 630

Shadow Hand (PvE US EST) Population ≈ 620

Mind Trick (PvE US EST) Population ≈ 620

Darth Sion (PvE US PST) Population ≈ 590

Veeboo Lunx (PvE US PST) Population ≈ 590

Vrook Lamar (RP PvE US PST) Population ≈ 580

Lord Ieldis (RP PvE US PST) Population ≈ 580

Soresu (PvE US PST) Population ≈ 570

Krayt Dragon (PvE US EST) Population ≈ 570

Sanctum of the Exalted (RP PvE US EST) Population ≈ 570

Corellian Run (PvE US EST) Population ≈ 560

Begeren Colony (RP PvE US PST) Population ≈ 560

Gauntlet of Kressh (PvE US PST) Population ≈ 550

Wall of Light (PvE US PST) Population ≈ 550

Kaas City (PvE US EST) Population ≈ 550

Keller's Void (PvE US EST) Population ≈ 550

Sith Wyrm (PvE US EST) Population ≈ 550

Empress Teta (PvE US PST) Population ≈ 540

Space Slug (PvE US PST) Population ≈ 540

Makes perfect sense. RPers are the people who spend the most time sitting down and talking to people in game. Even though they make up a smaller portion of the population, they also spend much more time in game just socializing with other people than people on generic PVP and PVE servers.

And yet..on mine, Shien RPPVE, try finding a group for any FP. Even during prime times.

Makes perfect sense. RPers are the people who spend the most time sitting down and talking to people in game. Even though they make up a smaller portion of the population, they also spend much more time in game just socializing with other people than people on generic PVP and PVE servers.

RPers tend to be more mature in their behavior also. This reputation leads to players who don't RP choosing RP servers just to have a better community.

I find it fascinating that the RP servers, though a tiny fraction of the population of total servers, have some of the higher populations.

Thoughts?

I don't find this surprising at all. This game supports story and character development better than most other aspects of the game. It's only natural that RP community would be drawn to a richer experience that seems to be the game's priority. PvP and optimized take a backseat when compared to other games. I don't see this direction of focus as good or bad, just a sign of the game being offered and their primary target demographic.

In my case this works to my favor and my server is full of like-minded players.

wow just wow

First off I have no stance on the game one way or the other, but man you people must be really bored

It is so funny how people see something like this, run with it and post as if it is some kind of a good assumption of anything.

If ø is greater than 1, start with 250 plus the % ø is greater than 1 x 1000 (where 1000 is the average of the top end of light = 500, and the top end of standard = 1500).

The above example: Does it not bother anyone at all that this is completely and totally made up?

Also to take into account that all server pop caps are not the same doing any calaculation based off of a wrong assumption and made up formaulas is just completely without purpose

You know anyone can make assumption and support a formula when you already know the end answer (ie population total that was reported)

And I can tell you in absolute fact when I did my server it is completely wrong

I really wish people would get lives and actually just play the game instead of spending so much time with absolute garbage like this

Nothing will be correct, or even close to accurate unless it is released officially, which it never will be.

I'm sure in another month some other "genius" will come out with something similar just like the past "geniuses" who tried to figure it out in the past months