View Single Post

ShavedEwok
04.21.2012 , 02:02 PM | #2
Thanks OP for a very nice write up, couldn't have said it better myself and I fully agree.

I think one of the most interesting (and IMO valid) points made, is that much of the armor pre-50 looks spot on and in many ways more "epic" than the post-50 stuff which supposedly should give the impression of your character being BA.

Like OP pointed out, ship design is IMO spot on (props to those involved, great job!) in SWTOR and so is the majority of concepts for the NPC armors. In fact, I would argue that many NPC's wear stuff looking a lot more epic than the player end-game gear.

Working with an existing and well established IP such as Star Wars, of course has it's challenges. On the other hand, since it is so well known and has been around for so long, it shouldn't really be that hard for any good designer to come up with concepts that fit well within the context while still being original.

IMO, the main problem with the current 1.2 high-end gear is that it simply doesn't fit in. The designs are generally too far out there and you get the feeling the designers haven't really done their research and looked at the actual world these are being placed into. Much of it just looks too much horror-fantasy, is too extravagant, has proportions all over the place and last but not least, does not seem to take any regard whatsoever to being practical. The latter is basically a cardinal sin when working with the Star Wars universe IMO.

I know it's really easy for us self-declared "online experts" to criticize and complain...but while that is true we who do that still have eyes and many of us have more or less been growing up with Star Wars, making us very familiar with the IP which also makes us notice when something seems "off".

While I can appreciate the designers wanting to "take it to the next level", I personally don't think that's the way to go. Instead of trying to create something completely new, I think you should stick to what works and then iterate on that instead. Be creative, but do it while being firmly rooted in the established IP. It's a challenge, sure...but the abundance of other great designs in SWTOR is proof that it's possible. You've done it before, so perhaps it's time to go back to the basics a bit?

SE
80% less stupid