View Single Post

RuQu
04.13.2012 , 03:47 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by APeckenpaugh View Post
I know that as an individual, it's easy to rationalize this line of thinking, but understand that we cannot make everyone happy.

If we made judgement calls for who to give respecs to, and a class did not receive a free respec after a change, we'd be accused of "neglecting" that class (just like in this thread!). If we made judgement calls for who to give respecs to, and a class did receive a free respec after a change, we'd be accused of admitting the spec got "gutted," to use your words. And why wouldn't players think that - we just handed them free tickets to go elsewhere, right?

The only fair, honest, and logical way to give free respecs is to base them on technical necessity.

Or, Commando skill points weren't refunded for the reasons I've already given and elaborated on.

Also, devs get standard-issue troll resistance when they join the biz, just FYI.
Hurray for translation delay...

As I said before, there is certainly sound logic to the reason behind how you choose to give respecs.

I think, however, that you do a massive disservice to the game and the community with statements like these two:

Quote: Originally Posted by APeckenpaugh View Post

The only fair, honest, and logical way to give free respecs is to base them on technical necessity.

Also, devs get standard-issue troll resistance when they join the biz, just FYI.
1) To assume that critique is trolling automatically creates an us vs them mentality that discourages constructive dialogue. It also primes you to resist what you are hearing, instead of listening.

2) This brings us to the larger problem, and in a way to the first statement in the quote excerpt. One of the biggest problems that the Healing community (by which I mean the active posters on the healer forums and healer AC subforums) has to do with a lack of communication. We don't feel like we are told what we feel we need to know, and we certainly don't feel like we are heard. Part of this is likely due to "us vs them" mental resistance that comes from defining criticism as trolling.

There are other ways of deciding when a free respec is warranted.
  • Purely technical. As you can see this can upset the players of an AC like Commandos and Mercs who feel that their class changed a great deal even if the structure of the trees did not.
  • Substantial Change. You present a false choice in the above. You do not need to admit that you gutted a class or broke it to acknowledge that players may no longer want to keep the same build after the changes you make. You can say: "We made substantial changes, which we think improve the state of the game, but we realize that some players may wish to change their skill builds around after in light of the modified skill trees."
  • Universal. There is no need to judge at all. This simply gives everyone their talents back after a major patch regardless. For minor patches, you can still fall back to technical because those are necessary and unavoidable. While this could be inconvenient for classes with no or little change, it avoids any favoritism accusations.
  • Community Feedback. While there was close to zero Developer response to any of the healer feedback and testing threads on the PTS, and there were only the smallest of changes in response (the Noble Sacrifice reduction skill increase) I find it hard to believe that you were ignorant of the response. In the odd chance that you didn't read any of the PTS feedback on healers, it largely mirrored/predicted the current Live 1.2 response, ie mass discontent. Again, if you stop considering all criticism as trolling you can use the PTS response as a gauge of whether or not a large part of an AC community will want to respec. This one is more subjective, but that doesn't mean it isn't worth consideration.

I realize that you and the other Developers have spent a lot of time and effort on this game, and, more recently, on this patch. But bear in mind that many players and community members also have a substantial investment in this game and its success, and while you are paid for your time with SWTOR, we pay for the privilege.

We do not make recommendations and criticism to weaken the game. That is in no one's interest. We make recommendations and criticism to strengthen the game, and to make it more enjoyable to play. We protest changes that we think will decrease our enjoyment, because when we stop enjoying it we will stop playing and (key point I think you guys miss) we want to keep playing. Some suggestions will be bad, some critiques poorly thought out/irrational/invalid even. Others, however will be good suggestions and valid/rational criticism.

You would do well to not lump all of that together as trolling. While some people will always complain about anything you do, I can assure that this current backlash is not that. If you can start communicating with your community more, and treating the community with respect and partners in the common goal of creating a great game that is fun* to play, you just might be surprised at the results.

*On the topic of fun:
Spoiler
Brushing off the dust on my Assault Cannon. Time to get back in the fight.