View Single Post

StephenReid
03.23.2012 , 08:09 AM | #235
As mentioned by Blaine Christine (Senior Producer, Live Services) in March 2nd's Q&A, unfortunately at this time we're unable to run separate maintenance windows for different regions. All of The Old Republic's game servers are in the same service environment. The upside is that players have no restrictions on where they can play - something many players in Oceanic regions continue to benefit from. The downside is that we have to bring all servers down for maintenance at the same time. Our global maintenance time was chosen because it is when the lowest number of players - globally - are on the game servers.

That said, bringing servers down on a Friday night in any time zone is not something we do lightly. In this case, there were several server-side fixes we had to conduct (see the brief patch notes here) to ensure continued stability of the game. While I know no-one wants to lose gaming time on a Friday night, I'm sure you also do not want to endure random server crashes that could occur at any time and with no warning.

We always take unscheduled maintenances very seriously and weigh the pros and cons. In this case we felt it was important enough to conduct this maintenance ASAP. As soon as the decision was made, the maintenance timing was communicated.

Again I apologize for the inconvenience, but for the overall stability of the service, this maintenance was required.