Combat Log Format?

Perringaiden

The parser's like recount and many others turn that text file into something readable for people to understand. Syntactic analysis, is the process of analyzing a text log file. If you have seen recount or others post something you just read someones text file in "Laymen's terms".

They were actually talking about people being able to modify the combat log after it's been saved to disk which has nothing to do with your response.

XML combat logs would be great, though.

XML would be easier to parse for sure, but the lag for a realtime log of multiple players would be horrendous. Especially for a game that has other lag issues already.

Give me the fields, delimiters and any bitmasks that you're doing and I'll write a parser for it.

If I understood the situation correctly, bioware are creating a potential security risk on peoples computers for having to rely on third party apps just to read the information.

Very disappointing.

Right. Because the reputable combat parsers that have been running since EQ2 have been such an issue. :rolleyes:

I'm hoping the combat log we get written to disk (or accessible from addons eventually) will be the second type, but in order to get a start on parsing tools, I'd love for BioWare to release the format early, or at least some details about the format.

Well, the feature will be up on PTS before release, so you will have ample opportunity to review it before live.

My guess, and this is just speculation, is that they will follow established convention in the industry for log files, so that 3rd party apps can readily suck the file in and spit out all the uber charts and graphics. And if the log file is open and collecting as you play, parsers like ACT should be able to give you essentially real time metrics in the parser windows.

The only new component in the Bioware approach is the need to consolidate files if a guild wants to review raid results after the raid.

I am not talking about a log file though. I am talking about the real time log "file" that is directly displayed within the game client. That's what a combat log usually means in regards to modern MMO's, everything else is just semantics.
no, the convention is that log = logfile.