Thread: Mara Jade
View Single Post

priest
02.22.2012 , 03:30 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by ErikModi View Post
See, I liked Chewie and Anakin dying in the NJO. It gave the series a much different feel, as mentioned several times in the books, it did away with the plot armor the character had all been walking around with. You can't have great drama if you KNOW that the main characters will always succeed.

[sblock]It's like what Joss Whedon did with Serenity. Killing Book was one thing. . . he was an important character, sure, but he was probably the most expendable character in the story. Killing Wash. . . now, that was a signal to the audience that no one was safe, and this whole thing could turn into Butch and Sundance before it was over.[/sblock]

I didn't even have any qualms about how they died. . . my only complaint is that Anakin had been being built up as the new hero of this story, and Lucas decided that, to avoid any confusion between Anakin Skywalker and Anakin Solo, Anakin Solo had to die. It feels like an insult to the audience's intelligence. Then again, given the exhibited intelligence I've seen from some of that audience, maybe Lucas had a point.
I don't like the new feel to it. I liked the original nieivity and innocence of the series. I'm not looking for a more gritty GFFA; If I want hardcore dark drama, I'll go to Battlestar Galactica (which I also like by the way.)

I know what they're getting at; really I understand. I just don't agree. I want a simple, pop corn story that I can read and feel like, in the end, the good guys win. Killing Chewie, Anakin, Mara, and making Jacen this odd heel character was just stupid imo.
╬╬█]∎⌉()[█][\▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀╬┌ị∈-⋂Dị ∃ị└∈▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)