, 10:25 AM
If you are experiencing a black screen after pressing ‘Play on the launcher, please ensure that you have tried the following troubleshooting steps:
If you are still encountering this issue after checking all of the above, please contact Customer Support.
- First of all, please be advised that the initial loading of the game can take some time depending on your system specifications. For higher end computers it can take anywhere up to 15 minutes for the first load to complete, for machines approaching or below our recommended minimum specifications it may take much longer. In order to allow initial loading to complete successfully, we would request that you refrain from clicking on the screen, or using the keyboard (including alt-tabbing away from the client to do something else on your system), as this can interfere with the process and generate misleading Windows error messages.
- Ensure that your graphics card drivers are updated. This issue is often as a result of having the 11.8 ATI drivers installed. If this is the case, updating to a later driver version can resolve the issue. For instructions on how to update your Graphics card please see here
- You should make sure that you have the latest version of DirectX installed on your system. For further details please check here
- You should check that you have the latest Service Pack and Windows Updates installed for your operating system, including optional updates such as .NET Framework and Visual C++ features.
- Run the game as an administrator.
- Make sure that you have added swtor.exe and launcher.exe as firewall exceptions.
- Check that you do not have any unnecessary third party software running in the background which may interfere with the running of the game
- Some people can get in to the game by modifying the default Fullscreen option. To do so, locate the client_settings.ini file located in the installation directory of the game. By default it is located at:
Open the file in a text editor and modify the value FullScreen=true to FullScreen=false.
- For 32 bit Operating Systems - C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtor\settings
- For 64 bit Operating Systems - C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtor\settings
Save the file and try restarting the game.
Please include a DXDiag of your system, your most recent client logs and a description of the exact error encountered.
Xaryell | BioWare Customer Service – Forum Support