View Single Post

AetosV
02.10.2012 , 10:33 AM | #1
I had a question- well, merely one I could think of at the moment, although I'm quite positive I will think of more- but in the Star Wars: The Clone Wars season 2 episode, "The Mandalore Plot", (the defining episode that ripped the Expanded Universe apart and then burnt it), the Mandalorian Vizsla (pardon my spelling of his name) presents the darksaber to Obi-Wan Kenobi (not going to dispute the darksaber, that's a whole seperate issue) and states, "This lightsaber was stolen from your Temple during the fall of the Old Republic."

I am confused. To my knowedge, between 25,000 BBY and 19 BBY, the Republic had never fallen, therefore there can only be an Old Republic from the years spanning between the formation of the Galactic Empire and the New Republic. Some may argue that the Mandalorian is referring to the Ruusaan Reformations of 1,000 BBY, however that did not constitute a governmental collapse, merely a military overhaul. One could also argue that it was during the Mandalorian Wars, the Sacking of Coruscant, or any significant event prior to Palpatine's coup, but none of those were actually the Republic's fall. Does anyone have any arguable theories? Since The Clone Wars animated series is being given authority over established cannon, we're merely going to have to suck it up and keep on keeping on.