View Single Post

Fereldin
12.13.2011 , 09:55 AM | #23
I know 3 people that played weekend betas on Macs on Bootcamp - on MacBook Pros and iMac's. Win7 + OS X Lion systems, nVidia GPUs. I don't think Bioware/EA will even contemplate a Mac OS X version until likely late 2012, and if game is very successful, to justify porting it, or hiring Aspyr or Cydia port or other.

Sadly, being a Mac User since 1983, I game on a PC. Either bootcamp-it on your Mac and fork out 149-349 for Windows 7 64-bit (depending on flavor, or upgrade), or for 2x that, buy an OEM PC box with PCI Express, upgrade vid card, and it ships with Win7.

Issue with Macs is that unless you have a Mac Pro or iMac, the Mac mini and MacBook/MacBook Pro's on-board non-discreet video isn't powerful enough. I've tried SWTOR Beta 11.11.11, Nov.25th, and Dec.2nd on 9400M and Intel HD 3000 and it barely runs at 800x600 with more than about 12 fps - on CPUs ranging from Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz - 2.4 GHz, and tried it on latter Intel Integrated on a Core i7 2.7GHz. The GPUs are very lacking - optimized for battery efficiency and making the OS run smoothly, but not for gaming. So, even though there are 10's of millions of Mac Users, only a fraction actually have iMacs or Mac Pros with sufficient GPU processing power to handle SWTOR. WoW runs fine on any Mac from 2008+, but SWTOR isn't WoW. Demands are far more taxing.