View Single Post

Tenacity
01.30.2012 , 06:04 PM | #5
Quote:
S3 - Prototype Cylinder Ventilation: passive Heat vent is boring (Superheated Rail is fun)

PCV offers some good Heat venting, which when combined with <=16 Heat abilities is pretty amazing. However, Superheated Rail's synergy with Prototype Particle Accelerator is a simply more fun mechanic as a DPS spec; I wish something similar could be copied to the AP to make it more enjoyable and encourage doing something other than Flame Burst all day, using Rocket Punch and Immolate on cooldown.
I'll take reliable over fun any day. PCV is an excellent talent IMO, I wouldnt change it unless that change came out to more frequent heat venting.

Quote:
S4 - Hitman: encourages more Quelling, doesn't reduce Heat cost to compensate

Quell on a 6 second cooldown is amazing; it is by far the strongest control talent AP has, period. However, Quell also costs 8 Heat per use; giving APs the option to Quell more frequently is moot if they aren't going to utilize it because of its Heat cost.

This talent should also reduce the cost of Quell by 1 Heat per rank. That means Quell with or without talents, will always generate 1 Heat/sec if used every cooldown (8 second cooldown Quell costs 8 Heat, 7/6 second cooldown Quell with Hitman costs 7/6 Heat).
Definitely agree here, I love the lowered cooldown on quell but the heat cost is rough.

Quote:
S6 - Prototype Flame Thrower: weak rank 1, weak in PvP

Rank 1 is useless (important during leveling up) because it's a 50% chance to gain 1 of 5 stacks. Also, the talent loses value in PvP since you can have your Flame Thrower be interrupted, you can be stunned/knocked away, or enemies can run away while you are channeling, all of which are bad news for a melee DPS spec that relies on this talent.

I propose the following changes: Flame Burst and Flame Sweep grant Prototype Flame Thrower, increasing the channel speed and tick speed of your next Flame Thrower by 16/33% and its damage by 5/10%. Stacks up to 3 times.

This way you trade 20% damage at 5 stacks for the sake of:
1) Gaining a reliable proc at rank 1
2) Worrying about 2 less stacks
3) Increased mobility and reliabilty since you can deal the full damage in only 1.5 seconds (2.25 seconds at rank 1).
Interesting idea, but I fear that it would cause heat issues. Flamethrower costs 25 heat - normally channeling it over a 3 second duration lets you bleed off most of that heat buildup without having to worry about the cost, but if it were a 1.5 second channel it would lose a lot of efficiency for pve use.

Might work if flame barrage reduced the cost on flamethrower when it procs, that way you could use immolate first and have a no-heat flamethrower cast.

Quote:
S8 - Kolto Vents: weak for high tier skill, especially compared to equivalent talents in other class trees

7% max HP healed is great, especially for a heavy armor wearer, but 10 seconds is way too slow, especially since the talent is tied to an ability with a 2 minute cooldown. For how high this talent is, this should be 7% over 5 seconds.
Agreed, it's a terrible high tier talent. I'd prefer if they changed it so that it worked whenever you vent heat by any means (prototype cylinder ventilation would restore a small amount of health every 6 seconds or so, the vent heat ability would restore a larger amount of health immediately when used, superheated rail would restore some health when it procs, etc.)

I'm a PvE player, and I use AP for my DPS spec (it's an offspec, normally I'm shieldtech/tank). From that point of view, it seems to me that the largest issues with AP right now are a slight lack of sustained DPS and reliance on procs.

Retractable blade needs a serious damage buff, even if it's only to the DoT effect. All of the tier 5 1 point talents are terrible, and other than the heat venting through PCV, high energy gas cylinder is terrible.

THE LYNX LEGACY THE HARBINGER
Lynx --- Bastet --- Pakhet --- Leonen --- Maihos
Shock and Jawa Full Metal Jawa