View Single Post

xBuzz
12.14.2011 , 05:31 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by MichaelSean View Post
Old dog here trying to learn a new trick.

For as long as I've been playing MMOs, I've been a point and clicker with regards to my primary powers. However, I've seen a few things online that have lead me to the conclusion that, while this works fine for PVE, for PVP play it's less than optimal. And I'm trying to up my game.

Since I just started playing TOR today, I thought what better time to try and relearn the way I've traditionally played? Only trouble is I'm having a hell of a time with it. I understand the theory that, the fewer the mouse clicks, and the more one does with their keyboard, the more mobility one has. And in PVP mobility = survivability.

That said, I find that when I try to use the 1-8 keys for my main powers, rather than my traditional point and click method, I'm more rooted than ever because I keep having to move my left hand all over the place. With my point and click method, my left hand is freed up to keep me more in constant motion. So it's having the opposite effect of what I intended.

I'm sure part of it is that I need more practice but, I'm curious, are hot keys THE definitive way to PVP or is point and click with the mouse viable? Thanks.
It's not too common, but I do it the opposite to most people.

For my most common keys, interrupt etc, I use E, Q, R, F, C, X, Z and shift/ctrl variations and for longer cooldowns, trinkets, defensives etc, I use 1, 2, 3, 4 maybe 5, with shift variations.

I find the letter keys are quicker for me to strike than the number keys, and give me better mobility over my charachter.

The advantages to using any key bindings are reaction times. Using your mouse to click skills, it takes alot of time to move from the centre of the screen to click the button. Your latency might be 50ms, but with mouse clicking you're effectively increasing it to 300-400+ and that's if you're fast at mouse clicking. When you're trying to interrupt and play against good players using crutch skills, that doesn't cut it, you need the fastest reaction time.

Like anything, it takes practice. After a couple of weeks doing this, you will wonder how you ever did without it.

Since SWTOR is new, it's the best time to learn, since you have from 1-50 to learn just by leveling, when you get to 50 it will be second nature. The brain has to do things around 1500 times to commit it to muscle memory, then you can use them without thinking.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.