View Single Post

ZombieCo
12.14.2011 , 12:15 PM | #1
Why the way Early Game Access was deployed is wrong and punishes low income grps:

I registered on this site back in July 2010. I have been following SWTOR for a very long time. I am a big fan and I was lucky to get a chance to get into beta. I heard about the EGA (Early game release system) quite a while back but didn't really understand the full effects until now. Heck what a great idea I thought. Just watch the server load and keep adding people as the load goes down and heck nobody is going to be playing around 12AM and on I should have no problem getting in early! I mean heck they wouldn’t just sit there for 6 hours during the night with 150 servers reading light population right? Hahaha why that would just be ludicrous!

Other than the fact that it splits up friends, breaks guilds apart and is just generally a bad idea… The underlying problem with EGA is the fact that if you did not have the cash to shell out 60$ USD + tax on a game until a bit later in the year you are getting punished. I have 3 kids and xmas is coming fast! I don't have enough money to be spending on games all the time. In fact I barely manage to make my dang mortgage payments at the moment thanks to the amount property taxes were raised this year… but I digress...

Sometimes in a family you have to budget and save up. This system punishes guys like me who were just as big of fans as the next guy but instead of being able to buy the game maybe we had to get other things that mattered more. The fact of the matter is that I simply did not have the money to spend on this game till Dec 30th of this year. Once I had the money though I went and got that fancy shmancy digi-deluxe version. Heck yua!!! I could have gotten Skyrim and be running around as Dovahkin! But screw that I said! I’m gonna be a freaking Jedi!

I've been playing Bioware games since BG and have beaten EVERY single game to date. When I heard Bioware was making an MMO I knew they would do it right. I did not expect this launch system however. Just looking at the server load while typing this I can see around 150 servers sitting at light population. That’s 150 servers underused and sitting there wasting power for 14 hours in the day. This will happen again tonight when everyone goes to bed and nobody is playing. Why not add more at that point? AGAIN it makes no sense.

I have seen MMO’s come and go and been a-part of 8 other MMO launches to date and I’ve seen nothing like this EVER. The way you guys are giving people access makes literally no sense right now. The fact is that it will continue to make no sense until something is done to change the way you guys are running this EGA. There is NO REASON not to be sending waves and reacting to the server load as it goes. Please do not punish me and others like myself because we simply could not afford your game until the beginning of December late November.

Stop the madness Bioware please and listen to your customers. The amount of infighting in the forums right now is evidence enough of this failure of an EGA model. Once again: it’s a great idea just very poorly implemented. Save face, listen to your customers and make some changes. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

-ZombieCo