View Single Post

DanChart
01.09.2012 , 09:14 PM | #234
Quote: Originally Posted by ChrisSchmidt View Post
Hey folks!

If you are unable to solo this fight, please give us a bit more information as requested below:

Spoiler

Thanks for your help!
1) No (I read this thread and assumed it would make it easier)
2) Sentinel / Watchman

So I did manage to solo the Emperor as a Sentinel after about 20 attempts and that's after having read many posts about the fight beforehand (such as this thread). My gear was ~ average ilevel 106 (12,000 HP) with reasonable stat allocation and a reasonable spec including Watchguard (6s kick/45s Pacify), Defensive Guard (+1 centering and 2% int/ele damage reduction) and Force Fade (100% immunity Force Camo) and like 5 points in "useless" PvP talents. T7 had ~ avg ilevel 76 gear, I didn't do the puzzle. My gear was mediocre.

I finished the fight with 68 HP. Until that moment I thought this fight was essentially unbeatable or I would have started recording it to help others.

I used no stims and 2 lower level med packs (3k heals each).

This fight absolutely requires using "LOS tricks" and Awe. The fight is too difficult. I think I'm pretty good at this class, I have good key binds, my mouse has lots of buttons and LED lights that change color. I don't remember a single "boss" fight in the class quest line until the emperor, everything else was T7 tanking and then Doc healing face roll.

I tried to imagine how the encounter designers must have intended me to defeat the this without LOS; I don't think it's possible.

As everyone's said you need to use all your interrupts, the 6 second kick isn't enough, you need to use Force Stasis and Force Leap on the Emperor when he casts. When I was vulnerable to damage (when I wasn't LOS'ing) I used all the defensive cooldowns, Saber Ward and Rebuke weren't enough, inevitably I'd make a small mistake (usually when switching pillars) and I had to use Force Camo (if higher health) and Guarded by the Force (at low health) to survive. I don't know if Pacify did any good, but I used it out of habit. To defeat the clones I used Awe when they clumped together by LOS'ing them after spawning, this allowed me to 1 hit kill most of them without taking unsurvivable damage, once it wore off I used defensive CD's and more LOS to take out the rest. To get things off cooldown between phases I played a lot of LOS hide and seek (25-60 seconds). The whole fight took maybe 5 minutes.

I stood on the stairs and sent T7 in tank mode to suicide against the Emperor for the pull, it's essentially a free Awe since all the clones run to him. T7 will always die in P1.

This final quest was an enormous let down for a lot of reasons. The trash using T7 was tedious and infuriating. You can skip some of it and this is the capitol of the Empire, but it takes a while and I think a lot of people will get frustrated on the boss fight and leave, only to have to do it again. I was worried about running out of money on repairs.

For the fight itself, casual and even many experienced players will not be able to beat this solo. If this were a single player game where you could save at the Emperor and make repeated attempts without respawn timers or repair bills or GTN auctions then the difficulty might work, but in an MMO I think most people will spend an hour or so on a solo boss before they give up. When I hit 50 all I wanted to do was do the dailies to gear up, but I was blocked by this atrocious final quest and it made me absolutely livid. I'm guessing the encounter designers wanted the Emperor fight to be epic instead of a simple DPS/interrupt encounter, but this felt more like trying to take down a concrete wall with my fists, even though I succeeded I don't feel like I won anything.

This quest should have been a final test for everything Jedi Knights learned on their journey from 1 to 50, this fight... I don't know what it wanted me to do.