View Single Post

renegadeimp
12.13.2011 , 08:06 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Nex_Seraphim View Post
Ready Boost

Win 7 has a pretty good feature which allows you to use a USB flash drive as extra memory, should you only be using 2 GB or so of RAM. It's no substitute but it can make your system run faster.

How to setup the Ready Boost Feature.

To configure the Ready Boost Feature in Windows 7 you need to have a High Speed Flash/USB or Pendrive with you which is ready boost compatible.
  • After plugging in your flashdrive or pendrive, Open Computer > Right-click on the USB Drive/Pendrive > select Ready Boost tab > tick the Use this device checkbox.
  • You can configure how much space on your USB drive/ Pendrive to be used as Ram.

It's a very easy feature to configure, which can give you extra speed on low spec systems. AS I mentioned earlier, it's no substitute for real Memory Hardware, but it works, and it can work very well.

...sigh... another user that has NO idea what Readyboost is.

Readyboost IS NOT RAM ... Nor a SUBSTITUE FOR RAM ... Readyboost HELPS YOUR HARD DRIVE...

Readyboost caches DISK CONTENT to the FLASH DRIVE. On certain operations this can be 80-100x faster than using your Hard Drive.

Readyboost will give you a performance boost based on your HDD speed NOT RAM.

Most laptops run a 5400rpm HD. Even high end systems you can see as much as a 10% performance gain. This gain gets smaller the faster the HDD speed is (I.E. 7200rpm, 10,000rpm) and gets disabled with a SSD.

Your SD card or USB Stick should be at LEAST twice the size of the ram. You should format the drive as exFAT so Windows can use the entire size of the memory device.

Windows 7 can recognize up to 256GB of memory this way and up to 8 different sources at the same time.

I recommend at least a Class 10 device, but the minimum specs are below:

The device must have an access time of 1 ms or less.

The device must be capable of 2.5 MB/s read speeds for 4 KB random reads spread uniformly across the entire device, and 1.75 MB/s write speeds for 512 KB random writes spread uniformly across the device.

Windows Vista and Windows 7 include a command-line utility called "winsat" to test the performance of random read and write speeds. The Command Prompt must be run with administrative privileges; otherwise test results will not be visible after testing.

To test random reads (4096 for 4 KB):

winsat disk -read -ran -ransize 4096 -drive driveletter

For random writes (524288 for 512 KB):

winsat disk -write -ran -ransize 524288 -drive driveletter

Please... next time... do your homework.
I know. I posted the old version of this guide. Im in the middle of updating it.
Streamline - A guide to speeding up low - mid range Computer systems.
Latency Thread - Latency issue gathering thread..
Have a tech issue you need help with? You can nomally find me on the Customer Support forum.