Hoth Very Much Based Off a Season 1 CW Episode: Trespass

arunav

The look, the Talz, some of the wildlife...

Not at all criticizing it (I think Hoth is my favorite leveling planet, due to the look and atmosphere), but found it interesting where some of the source material comes from.

Just Hoth?

The game looks the way it does because of the TV show.

It's not uncommon for MMOs to go with a cartoony art style in order to make some things less processor intensive and /or to prevent the visuals from aging as fast as something that's more realistic inspired, but I really doubt the character models in this game would've been as angular had the Clone Wars not existed.

TOR was starting production as the CW's first season was near the end of it's production, so it's not surprising that design stuff over lapped.

TOR was starting production as the CW's first season was near the end of it's production, so it's not surprising that design stuff over lapped.

Not really, BW isn't cartoon network and would not have known anything of the cartoon's hoth until it aired

Also the talz where around before the cartoon, and icy canyons are not exactly a innovative look for a snow planet....

Not really, BW isn't cartoon network and would not have known anything of the cartoon's hoth until it aired

Also the talz where around before the cartoon, and icy canyons are not exactly a innovative look for a snow planet....

Maybe watch the episode before disagreeing - they look almost exactly the same, the bridges, caves, terrain, one particular animal that is all over Hoth in TOR, etc. And the CW episode location is not on Hoth, but an icy moon I believe.

Even how some Talz enemies spawn from the ground in-game was seen in the episode.

There are some really cool landscapes/planets in the CW series. If we get some more inspired from there, I'd be all for it.

Edited by arunav

See that tiny little Lucasarts logo at the bottom of this page? This game was a collaboration between Bioware and Lucasarts. And it is entirely logical that Lucasarts would have given some guidance to Bioware at some point about who the Talz were, how they lived, hunted, etc.

Aside from the fact that pretty much everything lore related would have had to be approved by LA at some point. Planet, character, costume, story, etc...everything. So some cross bleeding of design ideas makes sense.

Edited by NoFishing

The talz existed in Star Wars lore long before TCW, for starters there is one in the cantina scene in A New Hope.

Secondly TCW had the talz on Ordo Pultonia not on Hoth. And has I said earilier there are only so many way you can do a snow planet...

Also LucasArts is not a developer they would not have done any of the models for the game.

I disagree that they look the same too, for instant Ordo had several tall ice spires, including the one that the clone base was carved into. SWTOR Hoth has exactly one ice spire and that spire was manmade.

Edited by Zoom_VI

The look, I don't think it was inspired by the Clone Wars. I think it was inspired by the same thing the creators of the Clone Wars Wars were inspired by, the art of Ralph McQuarrie.

Spawning (or attacking) from underground was used in SW way before TCW. On a barren planet with no vegetation it's the only logical place for enemies to hide.

Edited by JediRelentless

Cartoon Network wasn't involved with CW until after it's first season completed production. The first season was completed at Lucasfilm before being shopped around to networks.

The people working on TOR at the time were well aware of CW during TOR's early production days and had even seen episodes of it before the CW movie came out.

TOR was worked on in conjunction with Lucasarts who was doing stuff involving CW at the time too. BW had access to CW materials during the production of TOR. It's not just some amazing coincidence that they have similar art styles.

Note that TOR's oldest concept art was still cartoony but it definitely changed in the advent of the Clone Wars. The original concepts for the game were still exaggerated but had a little more realism or rather dirtyness to them that the final game didn't.

Edited by Darth-Obvious

Also LucasArts is not a developer

Wait, what now?

If Lucasarts isn't a developer then who made all those SCUM engine games and/or Force Unleashed?

they would not have done any of the models for the game.

True, but they and Lucasfilm could provide them with any footage, art, etc, that they might want to see.

Also FYI while Lucasarts didn't handle any of the games modeling, they handled a lot of the game's VO, so despite what you might think (and things you might make up about them being a developer or not) they were involved with the game's production.

The game/show have piggy backed models before.

Forget the episode. but the chick in CLW with the 2 green sabers was riding on the taxi car used in Swtor. and last I checked, that was a Swtor model not used in any other form of SW's. They were even going to have Revan and Bane but took them out before the episode was finished. I don't watch the show often, just that the taxi car the chick was in was from Swtor and it was around Season 3 of the show, I saw it because my bro said hey look we use that.

I really have to agree with you. Because, technically Hoth is uninhabited, so the talz shouldn't be there at all. It's uninhibited for a reason. Also I don't think talz are even found on Hoth in the first place.

well yeah, but the dev need to populate the barren wastelands with something. 3 zillion packs of white maw get boring after awhile

Did BW base Hoth off of TCW's version? No but both SWTOR and TCW had the same source/consultant for how things should look. Just like DCUO the parent company has a firm grip on the all around look/feel/lore of all things using their property.